[casual_games] Game Development in AS3

dayvid jones dayvid at dayvid.com
Tue Nov 27 00:01:13 EST 2007

In AS3 how does a movie clip reference or find another movieclip?
Example, let's say I have a game that has enemy airplanes and the
play uses a gun to shoot them down, the airplanes are randomly
selected and addchild is used to place them in the DisplayObject on
the stage by the document class. Now lets say that the airplanes drop
bombs, so the airplanes have their own class linked to the airplane
movie clips in the library, this class uses a timer to drop bombs by
using addchild and moves the plane. The bombs have their own class
that move them down the screen and do a hittest looking for the
players gun. How do you do this in AS3? In AS2 I would use a _root to
allow the Bomb class to find the Gun MC. So in AS3 how do classes
find MCs on the stage?

Is my approach totally off for AS3? I'm trying to migrate from AS2
game development to AS3, and my biggest problems is the DiplayObject ; (

Does anyone know of a book or website that gives instruction or
examples for a game with enemies that shoot back? Or can anyone
answer my question?

D A Y V I D J O N E S

"Spock has a beard!?
Dude, we are totally in the wrong universe..."

Free Games, Free Music, Cool Photos and Documentaries!
http://www.dayvid.com

...shouldn't you be listening to Calico Radio?
http://www.CalicoRadio.com

music for the mAdNeSs!
http://www.DJGecko.com