[casual_games] Torque? Popcap? Or DIY?

Ron Carmel roncarmel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 04:42:40 EDT 2007

i also have a personal story to relate about frameworks. my business
partner and i started out using popcap because we wanted to run on
non-hardware accelerated platforms and popcap has a solid software
renderer. as time went by, we realized we're not going to get the quality
we want using software rendering, and started relying on hardware
acceleration, making popcap's big advantage irrelevant for us.

not much after that, we realized we will want to port our game to wii and
ran into a dead end with popcap. i ended up spending about two weeks
abstracting away all the popcap specific stuff (sound, rendering, input,
timing, threads) behind high level interfaces. i then spent another two
weeks reimplementing those interfaces with SDL, Direct3D, and BASS (great
library, ~$150 for a shareware license). when we port to wii, it will just
be another implementation of the same interfaces, though it'll probably take
more than two weeks because i don't have any experience with wii.

writing a framework/engine for our relatively simple 2D needs wasn't as hard
or complicated as i thought, and i'm very pleased with the result. the fact
that the game was already in good shape helped a lot, it was like the
ultimate unit test. i implemented subsystems one at a time so the game kept
running on a hybrid framework implementation as i transitioned from popcap
to SDL/D3D/BASS.

also, it was FUN! i derived a lot of satisfaction from getting it "just
right", something i never had the time to do when i worked under production
deadlines. if getting this done had taken six months i would have
considered it a bad choice -- much better to have gone with an existing
framework and focus on the game. but a month, and a fun one at that, was a
small price to pay for opening the door to an in-house multi-platform game
framework that does exactly what i need it to do. an added benefit is that
since the interfaces are clean and the subsystems well encapsulated we will
be able to easily outsource the porting of the framework to other platforms.

if you're confident that you can do it, and you think you'll enjoy it, and
you can afford the extra development time i would recommend rolling your
own. just be realistic about your schedule and don't reinvent the wheel.

ron

--
"make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one
less scoundrel in the world." -- thomas carlyle