[casual_games] Risks of using OpenGL in casual games

Brian Robbins brian-l at dubane.com
Wed Oct 31 09:44:21 EDT 2007

> You run into this a lot on the old onboard Intel cards, they may support OpenGL, but the drivers are very, very out of date (for most users)

Actually in my experience I've seen a lot less support for OpenGL on
very new computers. Laptops in particular that ship with Vista. I know
that this will get resolved in the coming months, but I know that ATI
in particular did not have a good (any?) OpenGL implementation in
their Vista drivers until recently. Given the way laptop drivers are
rolled out those won't even reach consumers for a while.

Couple that with the fact that it's a really bad idea to ask most
casual users to update their drivers anyway, and you definitely can't
count on having OpenGL available.

I'd be surprised if you had a significant number of users without any
3d acceleration, but I think you'll definitely want to support Direct
X.

--
Brian Robbins
Executive Producer and Gaming Evangelist