[casual_games] Risks of using OpenGL in casual games

James Terry JTerry at yatecgames.com
Wed Oct 31 10:32:14 EDT 2007

Even without a driver supporting OpenGL, both Vista and XP revert to
software rendering for it (albeit on laptops that is going to have poor
performance)

You can't expect people to download drivers to play your game in the
casual space, so might as well implement DirectX and OpenGL, see which
one is supported (or which extensions of OpenGL are available) and
switch to the video mode that will give you the most features on the
platform you are on.

Probably also give an option somewhere to force a change of the
rendering mode, even if it is just a couple shortcuts to Safe Mode
(OpenGL) and Safe Mode (DirectX) for the people who read through your
readme.txt or troubleshooting section for the game.

James R. Terry
Game Developer
Yatec Games
(225) 274-1550 Ext. 104