[casual_games] the content problem from a casual gameperspective.

Ian Smith-Dahl isd at strangetower.com
Wed Sep 19 08:00:55 EDT 2007

On Sep 19, 2007, at 5:20 AM, Jónas Björgvin Antonsson wrote:

> l like education is taking a beating here. I don‘t think going to

> school is a bad thing. Education is positive because, if it is done

> right, it helps people understand the most fundamental aspects of

> their trade and how they can leverage that knowledge. That can be

> quite valuable. So if a person that has drive, imagination and

> skill decides to go through university I think that is a good thing

> for everyone.

I'm going to hop in here and echo the sentiments of the former jazz
musician who posted earlier. I went to a prestigious art school,
and a lot of the people there were under the impression that a fancy
degree from a fancy school would make them the next Warhol. Some
fields of knowledge are difficult to prove. If you want to build
bridges, catch criminals or do brain surgery, a degree is a useful
way to show what you can do -- because showing the actual work is
difficult. But in jazz and painting and casual games, it's
relatively easy to show a portfolio of work. That makes the degree
as a piece of paper more or less useless. Therefore, while an
engineer, police academy cadet or doctor should probably focus on
grades in school, the jazz musicians, painters and casual game makers
of the world, if they go to school, need to focus on the actual
learning. In theory, going to school should help. But only if
you approach it with learning in mind, not just the degree / grades.

I guess what I'm saying is that In a lot of fields a degree pretty
much always helps. In this field, the degree doesn't help. But
you hopefully really do learn something during your years at school.