[casual_games] Advice on marketing a viral game

Aaron Murray aaron at tandemgames.com
Mon Dec 8 09:58:24 EST 2008

Well, that is the big trick really. Viral (word-of-mouth) is not easy; you
need to pitch/position your product to the right people (influencers) in the
right way (make it easy for them to share/answer all questions they have) in
order to get that ball rolling.
Gordon Walton from Bioware recommended the book "The Secrets of
Word-of-Mouth Marketing" by George Silverman as the best book on the topic.
He claimed to have read dozens of books and says this is the best place to
start. I purchased the book and have read through the first 4 chapters. I'm
implementing his ideas as I go and I have to say that it has been very
helpful in my advertising and even my understanding of my own product.

That said, you mention wanting the spread the word about a "festive"
game...if you mean Christmas/Holiday, I wish you the best of luck...you
might be a little late to get something rolling for that. There aren't any
silver bullets or guaranteed success methods mentioned in the book, or that
I've found.

Hope that helps,
Aaron

--