[casual_games] Advice on marketing a viral game

Thomas H. Buscaglia thb at gameattorney.com
Mon Dec 8 11:53:23 EST 2008

There are a bunch of reputable agents in the game
industry. The ones I know of charge anything
from a low of 5% (big budget games) to a high of
15 or even 20%. Your problem is than most will
not work with new studios and even if you are
established, since the total revenue from casual
games is relatively weak, many shy away from this
whole sector. As far as 50% goes...that's total
BS. And you would be doing everyone a big
service if you let them in on who this bozo is!
(assuming you did not sign an NDA with them!)

Here's a list of agents from the Gamasutra site
to get you started...not sure how you could not find any yourself though...

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/contractor_display.php?category=46

GL & HF!

Tom B

At 08:32 AM 12/8/2008, you wrote:

>I'm as tired of the buzzwords as I imagine some

>of you are (Viral? More like crapshoot!).

>However, on the subject, are there trustworthy /

>reliable service providers for marketing an Indie game as such?

>So, say I have a game, and desire to hand it off

>to someone who has good contacts, to help

>solidify and arrange distribution for a split of

>the generated profits; like talent agents, but for games not people.

>We've been doing it more-or-less manually and it

>takes its toll on our time; would rather

>outsource it to credible & proven people for a

>cut of profits (@10% as in other industries),

>and get back to focusing on what were good at, content.

>Have looked into this a little bit, but it seems

>the game industry is still way behind on such

>things... and I _do_ consider charging 50% for

>such a service, as being "way behind".

>------> Can anyone make recommendations here?

>(preferably from positive 1st-hand experience)

>Or is the game industry still relatively

>poisoned by all the middle-men who leave nothing

>for the content source (developer)?

>joe

>Joe Schultz

>Game Director

><http://www.bydesigngames.com/>ByDesign Games

>On Dec 8, 2008, at 15:25h, Paul Steven wrote:

>>Thanks Aaron – I will check out that book

>>To be honest I am not sure why I want to spread

>>my game around to so many people as it is

>>simply a little game I created to send out to clients as a kind of Xmas card.

>>Thanks for your advice

>>Paul

>Casual_Games at igda.org

>http://www.igda.org/casual-subscribe

>Archive: http://www.igda.org/casual-subscribe

>Archive Search:

>http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010373383720242846960%3Az3tdwggxil8

>List FAQ:

>http://www.igda.org/wiki/index.php/Casual_Games_SIG/Casual_Games_List_FAQ

¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤
Thomas H. Buscaglia, Esquire
The Game Attorney
23133 Vashon Highway SW
Vashon WA 98070
Tel (206) 463-9200
Fax (206) 463-9290
and
80 Southwest 8th Street, Suite 2100
Miami, FL 33130
Tel (305) 324-6000
http://www.gameattorney.com
TOLL FREE 888-848-GLAW
¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤

“There’s been this tradition in the [video-game]
industry that everybody gets screwed on their
first deal, I'm doing my best to make sure that
that becomes a historical anecdote instead of the way we do business.”
Tom Buscaglia, The Game Attorney - Lawyers Weekly, December 3, 2007.

Confidential: This email contains communications
protected by the attorney-client privilege and
the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC
§§ 2510, et seq. If you do not expect such a
communication from Thomas H. Buscaglia, please
attachment, and then notify Mr. Buscaglia at
thb at intelaw.com of this inadvertent misdelivery.