[casual_games] Game portal script

John Szeder john at mofactor.com
Thu Dec 11 14:06:30 EST 2008

From: casual_games-bounces at igda.org [mailto:casual_games-bounces at igda.org]
On Behalf Of Adam Martin

> Out of interest, do you think apple's app store pricing -developer gets

70%- is going to exert any pressure on casual games sites to change their
rates?

No, but you are comparing apples and oranges.

Multiple third party portals supporting hundreds of machines, OS versions
and competing for eyeballs vs an oem integrated single vendor store.

What remains to be see is if history will repeat itself compared to other
platforms.

Do not be terribly surprised if:

1) Apple charges for sku submissions

2) There will be limits imposed on free apps

3) Apple adjusts its revenue share upwards

Shipping songs is not the same as shipping applications and at 30% it's a
great value for the developer. Almost too good to be true, and therefore it
has attracted an enormous amount of interest. Sort of like facebook. And
look what happened:

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/11/19/facebook-to-charge-developers-for-v
erifying-applications

What I found surprising about it, is that people were surprised about it.

I do not think I am a doom and gloom person, quite frankly I am excited at
how they are creating such a beautifully vertically integrated marketplace
for mobile content developers.

But everyone needs to go into this with their eyes open, no one that I have
seen in the ecosystem has made the strategic decision that they will want to
be the Visa of digital content transactions and push their revenue share to
3% and basically eventually completely own all digital transactions over
time.