[casual_games] Question about Flex in web games.

Ricky Haggett ricky at honeyslug.com
Mon Dec 15 12:50:35 EST 2008

I use Flex Builder for making flash games - I don't use MXML, just create
Actionscript Projects.

I use Flash CS3 for what it's best at - laying stuff out, animation etc, and
do all my coding in FlexBuilder (I'm a big fan of Eclipse which FB is built
on). I make extensive use of the ability to provide labels for symbols and
then dynamically link to those symbols in actionscript (so for example, I
would create a gui screen entirely in CS3, but label the buttons and have my
code reference them via their labels, and add listeners at runtime).

I also maintain an Flex Library of reuseable code, which builds to an .swc,
and have my game projects link the library. I like the way Flex Builder will
auto-rebuild my game silently when changing the swc, allow me to put
breakpoints into the lib etc.

I could go on and on about why FlexBuilder is better than CS3 for
actionscript, but in summary, I heartily recommend using a dedicated IDE for
any projects requiring a significant amount of code. Apparently fdt is a
nice IDE too - I chose FlexBuilder because I already knew Eclipse so well.

Ricky