[casual_games] After the Honeymoon

Donald dbahlman at xblitz.com
Thu Feb 28 00:06:19 EST 2008

Hi everyone!

I've recently bumped into this issue and wondered if anyone else has also. My question is somewhat simple and has to do with predicting potential sales after a game has fallen from the Top 10 lists.

I have become a custom to using our wonderful little database for game sales charts: http://www.game-sales-charts.com/cms/index.php; to keep up with what's moving and it really is a great tool. After many hours of pouring over the data, I have managed to come up with a formula that gives me a pretty good idea of product revenue. But these are all numbers based on games that are hot...sometimes super hot and stays on the Top 10 lists for a while.

So my question remains, is there a "fall-off" rate and/or a product life cycle average from which to predict revenue after Top 10. For example, if Game "A", Click-Management mechanic, does good and remains in the top 10 for 8 weeks. It generates about $2 million in revenue. So what will a game like this typically do in the later part of its cycle? ($1 mln, $500k, ...) And how long typically is that cycle? (6 months, 1-2 yrs, ...)

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

Cheers!

Don