[casual_games] Full Screen or Windowed Mode?

Ricky Haggett ricky at morpheme.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 09:11:03 EST 2008

I'd suggest producing art resources at the highest resolution you're ever
likely to need. For example, if it's at all possible you might target xbla
at some point, you'd want to be able to display your game at a higher
resolution than 800x600 (or 1024x768).

We have an in-house engine which currently handles everything at 1280x960
internally, but allows switching between fullscreen and windowed, and
scaling the resolution all the way down to 640x480. On startup it can choose
a suitable resolution for the machine its running on.

We make all our artwork for a resolution of 1280x960 - if we hit a
memory/filesize limit before release we scale down the largest images -
usually the background ones (scaling the images down by a fixed amount is
trivial with a Photoshop action or similar; obviously the impact on your
game code depends on how it's been written).

Ricky