[casual_games] Full Screen or Windowed Mode?

Andrew Payne drup at brightermindsmedia.com
Mon Jan 14 09:55:31 EST 2008

I suggest generating art resources at even higher resolutions. That
way if your game is a hit and you take it to retail the package
designer will have something to work with. You can always scale down
the rez on the files you actually put into the game, but by keeping a
300+ dpi version in reserve you'll save yourself soooo much trouble if
you later need to do any printed promotional pieces.

-andrew payne
webmaster, graphic designer
drup at brightermindsmedia.com

Stressed out? Try your hand at some free games!
Click on the "Games" tab on our new website:
http://www.brightermindsmedia.com/

On Jan 14, 2008, at 9:11 AM, Ricky Haggett wrote:

> I'd suggest producing art resources at the highest resolution you're

> ever

> likely to need. For example, if it's at all possible you might

> target xbla

> at some point, you'd want to be able to display your game at a higher

> resolution than 800x600 (or 1024x768).

> We have an in-house engine which currently handles everything at

> 1280x960

> internally, but allows switching between fullscreen and windowed, and

> scaling the resolution all the way down to 640x480. On startup it

> can choose

> a suitable resolution for the machine its running on.

> We make all our artwork for a resolution of 1280x960 - if we hit a

> memory/filesize limit before release we scale down the largest

> images -

> usually the background ones (scaling the images down by a fixed

> amount is

> trivial with a Photoshop action or similar; obviously the impact on

> your

> game code depends on how it's been written).

> Ricky

>>> gamers

>>> play games in Windowed Mode? Additionally, does anyone have any data

> on

>>> what percentage of customers have monitors set to higher than

> 1024x768?

>>> Thanks!

>>> Andrew Lum

>>> andrew at fugazo.com