[casual_games] Full Screen or Windowed Mode?

Ian Smith-Dahl isd at strangetower.com
Mon Jan 14 09:59:58 EST 2008

I'm one of those graphic designers that works in the secondary market
for games, and I concur *completely*. Some games take me 2-3
hours to work up the collateral for, and some take me 2-3 days. And
most of the difference is whether there's some high resolution art to
work with, or whether all I have is in-game art work which I have to
go in and recreate pixel-by-pixel.

On Jan 14, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Andrew Payne wrote:

> I suggest generating art resources at even higher resolutions. That

> way if your game is a hit and you take it to retail the package

> designer will have something to work with. You can always scale

> down the rez on the files you actually put into the game, but by

> keeping a 300+ dpi version in reserve you'll save yourself soooo

> much trouble if you later need to do any printed promotional pieces.

> -andrew payne

> webmaster, graphic designer

> drup at brightermindsmedia.com

> Stressed out? Try your hand at some free games!

> Click on the "Games" tab on our new website:

> http://www.brightermindsmedia.com/

> On Jan 14, 2008, at 9:11 AM, Ricky Haggett wrote:

>> I'd suggest producing art resources at the highest resolution

>> you're ever

>> likely to need. For example, if it's at all possible you might

>> target xbla

>> at some point, you'd want to be able to display your game at a higher

>> resolution than 800x600 (or 1024x768).

>> We have an in-house engine which currently handles everything at

>> 1280x960

>> internally, but allows switching between fullscreen and windowed, and

>> scaling the resolution all the way down to 640x480. On startup it

>> can choose

>> a suitable resolution for the machine its running on.

>> We make all our artwork for a resolution of 1280x960 - if we hit a

>> memory/filesize limit before release we scale down the largest

>> images -

>> usually the background ones (scaling the images down by a fixed

>> amount is

>> trivial with a Photoshop action or similar; obviously the impact

>> on your

>> game code depends on how it's been written).

>> Ricky

>>> their

>>> statements, but we just went through this decision and I was quite

>>> suprised by the results...something like 95% of users run 800x600 or

>>> higher, and 60%+ run 1024x768 or higher/wider.

>>> In addition, if someone is still running 640x480, what are the

>>> chances

>>> that they are:

>>> A. using a PC with enough ram/disk to play your game

>>> B. going to purchase it