[casual_games] Encrypting text files

Ricky Haggett ricky at morpheme.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 13:37:49 EST 2008

Ø The ZLib API is very simple to use. We integrated into our file system
abstraction layer so that any file can be transparently (to the game code)
compressed on load and/or save.

Marvellous news – these are two properties I was hoping for in any solution.
Thanks James.

Ø where's the harm in someone mucking around with their play experience?

If the game in question was non-commercial, and would suit some
circuit-bending modification, I’d say no harm at all – in fact I’d encourage
and aim to support some mucking about.

But if it’s try-before-you-buy, the ability to edit the save game to unlock
everything and experience all the content right away represents a failure
case in my book.

Ø You can save binary files instead of plain text

There are plenty of advantages to plain text though Miguel – it’s great to
be able to edit and reload text quickly without any obvious
conversion/packing process, and the ability to open save game files as text
and sanity-check them can be really handy. A Gui is also a pretty good fit
for xml – we don’t have an in-game editor that can do this for us yet - just
trusty Notepad++. I was only dimly aware of the ability to compile lua into
bytecode, so thanks to the folks who pointed this out.

Ricky

Morpheme Game Studios, Morpheme Wireless and Morpheme
are trading names of Eidos Interactive Limited whose registered office is
1 Hartfield Road, London SW19 3RU
Company number: 01804186

Checked by AVG.
17:39