[casual_games] Casual Games Quarterly

Dave Rohrl universedave at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 14:52:32 EST 2008

Hey, James, I was just looking over your excellent roundup of top 10 data
from Q2 and Q3 and it triggered an interesting question for me. I find the
dance of rising and falling genres in the lists really fascinating. Have
you figured out a reasonably reliable way to look at that genre data and
filter out how much of the change relates to the list of titles in a given
quarter vs. true (and durable shifts) in the market? That is, are we seeing
a downtrend in the match 3 category just because there weren't as many
strong match 3 titles released that quarter or because the public is just
getting tired or them? I'm sure this is impossible to measure over a couple
of quarters, but if you look at this data over a 4-8 quarter period, can you
find a way to eliminate the noise and get a look at real trend lines?

Dave Rohrl
Indpendent Casual Game Producer/Designer/Consultant
universedave -at- gmail -dot- com