[casual_games] Big piracy problem!

Miguel Portilla miguelportilla at pobros.com
Wed Jun 4 13:25:37 EDT 2008

Realistically there isn't anything you can do to stop it. What seems
more alarming is when publisher evaluation copies make p2p rounds way
before the official publish date. I believe that the majority of those
using pirated copies were most likely not going to purchase the game
anyway, so I doubt they are 'lost sales'. I also doubt that the average
casual game customer purchasing from a portal knows how to or is
interested in acquiring pirated games. Heck one can almost argue that
piracy can benefit the success of software ( Microsoft? ). And while we
are at it, let me mention that any anti-piracy scheme can be defeated.
It's OK to have some level of protection but there is definitely
diminishing returns on that investment ( Blue-Ray? iPhone? HD-DVD? Vist
DRM? )

-Miguel