[casual_games] iPhone SDK

Chris Dillman chrisd at plaidworld.com
Fri Mar 7 18:07:05 EST 2008

>As for porting to iPhone, I would very much consider it if my C++

>engine can be ported without having to marry myself to objective-c

>or objective-c++.

>Our engine runs on Mac already, so unless they chose Cocoa Touch to

>be an excuse to shove objective-c even farther down our throats, I

>would definitely consider it.

>Am I the only mac developer who finds it annoying that in order to

>be a first rate citizen on Mac, you are forced into using obj-c?

>I think 70% revenue share sounds good compared to the level we are

>used to from the casual games industry at large.

Hmm its more like this.

You can use C / C++ just fine on the iphone but your API calls are
going to mostly go through cocoa / Obj C.

In the case of say SDL I believe its already calling to cocoa APIs
for everything now.

Other APIs are plain C like GL ES, Open AL etc.

Any how my point is that your C++ engine should in theory be easily portable to
the iphone SDK with maybe some trivial re coding of light wrappers to
objective-c++ to handle events and set up windows etc.

--
Plaid World Studios http://www.plaidworld.com
BANG 2D game engine's blog http://www.bang2d.com

Email: chrisd at plaidworld.com