[casual_games] Advergame budgets

Aaron Murray aaron at tandemgames.com
Tue Mar 18 11:28:55 EDT 2008

Hi Jeff,

I don't mind sharing some stats with the group - perhaps it will help some
folks out there. Plus we share the same last name!

We were recently contracted to make a game for VMC Gamelabs to be given away
at GDC on USB drives, as well as on their website. The game is a twist on
the typical advergame. There are no "ads" in the game, but the game is
branded with their logos.

The purpose of the game is primarily as a recruiting tool for game testers,
and secondarily as a brand recognition driver since they are the biggest
hardware/game test company.

We were tasked with creating the game in about 6 weeks from contract signing
to delivery. A tall order! Especially for a game concept that hasn't been
tried out before.

We did this gig on the cheap side with Critical Mass Interactive. The whole
contract was for under $20k, of which development saw $8k. Dev paid around
$1k for voice acting (there is about 10-15 mins of action dialog in the
game).

You can download the game here to see what kind of production quality it had
for that time/money:
http://www.tandemgames.com <http://www.tandemgames.com/?igdaemail>

1 programmer, 1 artist, 1 musician, 1 producer.

If you want to read my daily dev notes, they are in the game's install
directory in a txt file.

I hope that helps. I haven't been able to find any actual numbers like that
that in my search. It also goes to show that you need to fight for every bit
of budget you can because it just isn't possible to actually do that kind of
development full time with those budgets and still feed your family.

--
Aaron Murray
Technical Director, Co-founder