[casual_games] Algorithm for creating puzzle game boards

Paul Steven paul_steven at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 24 06:15:30 EST 2009

Does anyone have any resources on the algorithms for creating matching
puzzle games like the Noah's Ark game on pop cap
http://www.popcap.com/games/free/noahsark

I am making a similar type of game and am struggling to come up with an
algorithm to create the grid of tiles and ensure that whatever sequence of
pairings the player makes, that there will be no scenario where it is not
possible to find another pair. Basically the board needs to be such that it
is always possible to match all pairs in whatever order the user chooses.
Well this is the impression I get of the Noahs Ark game - I have never
encountered a situation where a pairing has not been possible - I just
always run out of time.

If anyone can enlighten me on how these kind of games are done it would be
much appreciated. I am curious as to whether the game boards are randomly
generated on the fly or they use hard coded game boards that have been
thoroughly tested.

Thanks in advance

Paul