[casual_games] Club Penguin's Conversion Rate

Erin Hoffman erin.n.hoffman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 19:32:05 EST 2009

Hi James -- this taken into consideration, do you know of available
figures that specifically compare unique visitors : downloads :
purchases for casual sites? I don't typically see that figure, only
instead the usual 'conversion' percentage.

In the case of Club Penguin or similar, there's another layer of
difference also that may equate loosely to download -- registration.
Not all visitors to a CP-type will register, so #unique visitors
doesn't equal registered free users. But you're right that there'd
still be a discrepancy on the download count in that one unique
visitor may result in multiple downloads, whereas on a F2P site it
will generally result in only one registered account -- though at
least on GoPets we found frequent instances of multiple account
registrations from a single user, which is going to be dependent on
whether your game mechanics incentivize users to register multiple
accounts (to farm resources, for instance).

How would you recommend separating these factors to generate a fair
comparison? #unique visitors : purchase/subscription?

--Erin