[casual_games] Question about iphone game development

Austin Haas austin at pettomato.com
Thu Jun 18 11:48:42 EDT 2009

I think that wrapping my ahead around OpenGL took more effort than learning Objective-C. You really have to design your graphics related code around how OpenGL works; it's like a mini procedural programming language.

If you've been immersed in Flash only, then opening up to new paradigms can be daunting. However, Actionscript is a pretty flexible language, so you've probably already tried a number of different approaches in your work.

Objective-C and Actionscript are not too far apart as programming languages, so it shouldn't take long to pick up, and I'm sure that you'll be able to start putting things together immediately.

I second the comment that Apple's documentation is pretty great. It's really thorough. There are a lot of high-level Getting Started documents for all apects of iPhone development.

If you have the time, I definitely recommend checking out the iPhone development. It doesn't cost anything to get started. I do Flash work, too, and there are a number of concepts and idioms in Objective-C that I've now taken back into my Actionscripting.

-austin

--
Austin Haas
Pet Tomato, Inc.