[casual_games] Question about iphone game development

Tom Hubina tomh at mofactor.com
Wed Jun 24 12:54:32 EDT 2009

OK .. it took some digging, but I finally figured it out. It's
basically what the folks at Apple told Chris - but it's not a fixed
size. It's based on the size of your executable. Here's the more
detailed explanation:

The difference between the IPA and the zip you send up to them starts
off with about 130k for the iTunes artwork and other little files.
This number will vary depending on how well your 512x512 iTunes
artwork compresses with png, but in the case I was looking at it was
about 130k.

All of the resources (sounds, images, etc) have roughly the same
compression before and after the trip through Apple. The only
difference I found was with the executable itself. Whatever encryption
they do to the executable inside the .app as part of their DRM
drastically changes its ability to be compressed by zip.

For the game I was looking at the uncompressed size (1488k) is the
same before and after sending to Apple so they didn't add anything to
the executable. However, the compressed size of the executable went
from 625k inside the zip up to 933k inside the IPA. I pulled the
executable out and compressed it with the same zip tool used to
compress the original sent to Apple and it was still 933k. The "same"
file couldn't be compressed anywhere near as well as it used to.

So basically, after DRM encryption the compressed size of your
executable will be about 50% larger than it was, but the uncompressed
size will be the same. Given that Unity is a baseline 8 meg compressed
executable (from a previous comment) I would expect Unity games to
grow by a minimum of 4 megs when you submit them to Apple. That
happens to be what others are seeing, so the numbers appear to check
out.

To be clear - this isn't a slam on Unity, it's good stuff - I just
wanted to solve the damn puzzle of why Unity based games were seeing a
larger impact by the encryption / DRM than others. However, it does
mean that the Unity library effectively adds 12 megs to your game, not
the 8 that was originally stated. This wouldn't be a big deal if it
wasn't for the 10 meg limit on OTA downloads.

Tom