[casual_games] SIG News: Open Meetings, Elections Coming Up, Organizer Needed for Monthly Chats

Dave Rohrl universedave at gmail.com
Wed May 27 03:32:48 EDT 2009

Hi all,
I wanted to take a few moments to bring you up to date on some cool new
developments with the IGDA Casual Game SIG.

1. To help us make sure that we're working on the stuff that really
matters to the community, we would like to try opening the Steering
Committee meetings to any interested members. Steering Committee meetings
are the first Thursday of every month at 10 AM Pacific Time and last 30-60
minutes. If you're interested in attending our next meeting (on June 4),
please send email to universedave -at- gmail -dot- com no later than June 1.
2. In July (at Casual Connect), we will be electing new member to the
Steering Committee. Serving on the Steering Committee is a great
opportunity to contribute to the advancement of casual games, give something
back to the casual game community, and meet a variety of movers and shakers
in the industry. Serving on the Steering Committee is a fairly small time
commitment - generally 1 hour a month for the conference call and 2-4 hours
per month on a volunteer project. If you're interested or would just like
to get more information, please send an email to universedave -at- gmail
-dot- com. The current Steering Committee will elect the new committee at
Casual Connect in Seattle in late July.
3. Last month, I emailed the list to find out what new initiatives people
are interested in. One idea that elicited strong interest was monthly chats
on various topics in the casual game industry. We could use one or two
energetic volunteers from the community to help organize the topics and the
conferencing facility. If you would like to help the community in either of
these ways or even by suggesting a few topic, feel free to email me on or
off list. I would love to see this initiative get going between now and
Casual Connect.

Thanks for being part of the IGDA Casual Game Community.

Keep it casual!
Dave Rohrl
Chair, IGDA Casual SIG