[casual_games] Girls/women and casual games - a psychological study TBD.... input? ideas?

Hal Barwood hal at finitearts.com
Thu Oct 29 17:54:03 EDT 2009

Hello, Andrea:

What an interesting project. Among the many avenues you might try is
contacting Nicole Lazzaro, who has done some work in this area. For
starters, take a look at her web site, xeodesign.com.

She notes that male and female psyches overlap more than they differ, an
encouraging thought to all, methinks.

I would also get some numbers from Zynga, Playdom, et al., on the simply
astonishing popularity of social games with a Tamagotchi hook, like
Farmville -- 60 million plus players! And, of course, women are bulking
up that total, as with most casual/social games.

You might also want to investigate the huge fraction of slot machine
gamblers that are women. Check out Gary Rivlin's Tom Wolf-like article
in the NY Times magazine in the 9 May 04 issue: "The Chrome-Shiny,
Lights-Flashing, Wheel-Spinning, Touch-Screened,
Drew-Carey-Wisecracking, Video-Playing, 'Sound Events'-Packed,
Pulse-Quickening Bandit."

I have been scratching my head for a while now trying to figure out why
I never, ever, want to play Diner Dash (too quotidian, too much like
work, too much like an assignment), and why many women feel just the
opposite, and wouldn't go near a fantasy sci-fi adventure challenge.
Let us know if you find out.

Cheers,

Hal