[casual_games] Unity 3D

Jeff Murray jeff at psychicparrotgames.com
Thu Aug 26 10:10:54 EDT 2010

Hey iestyn,

I've been using Unity for 3 years now and I think it's an incredible engine. I've produced browser-based games, desktop apps for Mac and PC and iPhone games (if you have an iphone, I built the skateboarding game MikeV: Do or Die with Unity iPhone).

Up until Unity 3, its biggest failing was not having a debugger ... since that's now a part of Unity 3, in my opinion, the biggest failing right now is that it doesn't exactly handle 2d (UI included) very well. Sure, you can make 2d games and UI but there's no dedicated 2d framework to make it easier on the devs. It's always 3d pretending to be 2d, if you know what I mean. There were plans to have a fast 2d framework built in to Unity 3, but it didn't make it in. That's my only major gripe, tbh.

The amount of positives totally outweigh the negatives. I get tempted to check out other engines every once in a while - and I do - but I always end up coming back to Unity.

Cheers!
Jeff.