[casual_games] Searching for a new term....

Thomas H. Buscaglia thb at gameattorney.com
Wed Jan 13 17:18:47 EST 2010

"Pop Games" was suggested a few years ago, but never got much acceptance.

At 12:18 PM 1/13/2010, you wrote:

>"Social gamer" sounds like a fine term to me. I

>know plenty of people like that. Like my mom

>playing "Number of the Beast" regularly on

>Guitar Hero with my son a couple years ago.

>Thanks!

>Doug Brown

>On Jan 13, 2010, at 2:33 PM, Jane Pinckard wrote:

>>Hey there, I'm doing some research on casual

>>gaming demographics and behaviors and I'm

>>wondering if anyone on the list can help me out with terminology.

>>I'm searching for a term to describe a group a

>>little bit more specifically than "casual",

>>which is a really broad, sometimes vague term.

>>The demographic I'm thinking of are basically

>>those whose *behavior* is casual, rather than

>>those that play a specific *type* of game, on a

>>specific platform, although there are of course overlaps.

>>The demographic is outside the "core" group;

>>they don't always think of themselves as

>>"gamers". They don't read enthusiast press.

>>They may be familiar with the biggest core

>>games (GTA III, Call of Duty) but if they play

>>them, they play them socially or casually. They

>>are often parents with children, and may enjoy

>>playing games as a family. In a way I think of

>>them as "outsiders", a bit, since they are

>>outside the traditional core audience.

>>Has anyone on the list come across

>>terms/definitions that might describe what I'm

>>looking for? I realize that I'm still at the

>>beginning of my study and so what I've said is

>>fairly unfocused. But I would love to hear your thoughts!

>>-Jane Pinckard

>><http://www.gamegirladvance.com/>www.gamegirladvance.com

>><mailto:Casual_Games at igda.org>Casual_Games at igda.org

>>http://www.igda.org/casual-subscribe

>>Archive: http://www.igda.org/casual-subscribe

>>Archive Search:

>>http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010373383720242846960%3Az3tdwggxil8

>>List FAQ:

>>http://www.igda.org/wiki/index.php/Casual_Games_SIG/Casual_Games_List_FAQ

>Casual_Games at igda.org

>http://www.igda.org/casual-subscribe

>Archive: http://www.igda.org/casual-subscribe

>Archive Search:

>http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010373383720242846960%3Az3tdwggxil8

>List FAQ:

>http://www.igda.org/wiki/index.php/Casual_Games_SIG/Casual_Games_List_FAQ

¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤
Thomas H. Buscaglia, Esquire
The Game Attorney
23133 Vashon Highway SW
Vashon WA 98070
Tel (206) 463-9200
Fax (206) 463-9290
http://www.gameattorney.com
TOLL FREE 888-848-GLAW
¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤

“There’s been this tradition in the [video-game]
industry that everybody gets screwed on their
first deal, I'm doing my best to make sure that
that becomes a historical anecdote instead of the way we do business.”
Tom Buscaglia, The Game Attorney - Lawyers Weekly, December 3, 2007.

Confidential: This email, including any
attachments, contains communications protected by
the attorney-client privilege and the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC §§ 2510, et
seq. If you do not expect such a communication
from Thomas H. Buscaglia, please delete this
message without reading it or any attachment, and
then notify Mr. Buscaglia at thb at gameattorney.com
of this inadvertent misdelivery.