[casual_games] Biggest Game of 2010 Competition...

Colin Cardwell colin at 3rdsense.com
Wed Jan 13 18:13:40 EST 2010

There is life in the old list yet! It had all gone a bit quiet. I guess a
sign of a more mature industry!

Lennard, this is a good question and it is very relevant. At present we
don't have a specific policy and are generally very liberal. For our own
games, we have for a long time now only been supplying a fairly dumb
client to other sites that loads in the game and other content from our
own servers. We also track all activity with call back to our servers and
we load in additional promotional content from our servers. We are just
looking at sign up and login to Fizzy within games distributed on 3rd
party sites. And soon will come micro-payments within the game.

I guess if we're doing it, then there is no reason why you can't. For us
it is more about an editorial decision. Without knowing exactly what you
are looking at doing, then it's hard to say, but for us the criteria is
only that the users of our site should have a functional game play
experience on our site (in other words they are not immediately whisked
off to another site to actually play) and that any ads/payment requests
are clear and no one is being cheated.

In terms of our competition though, it is being judged on which game is
the most commercially successful game distributed through Fizzy and the
measure is based on the revenue generating opportunities offered through
the site. For example, if you offered users the chance the buy stuff for
real money through the game, or carried ads from someone like Mochi, then
any revenue you generate from that will not be counted towards the
competition (but you might make lots of money, who am I to judge the best
way, lol)

One this I do know, and other folks are probably aware of this too, is
that MySpace worked with Adobe to create the noscript flashvar and as such
3rd party server communication will not work on MySpace

Feel free to contact me off list if you want to talk through specifics.

Cheers
Colin

Colin Cardwell
CEO