[casual_games] Searching for a new term....

Jane Pinckard miyukijane at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 14:33:43 EST 2010

Hey there, I'm doing some research on casual gaming demographics and
behaviors and I'm wondering if anyone on the list can help me out with
terminology.

I'm searching for a term to describe a group a little bit more specifically
than "casual", which is a really broad, sometimes vague term. The
demographic I'm thinking of are basically those whose *behavior* is casual,
rather than those that play a specific *type* of game, on a specific
platform, although there are of course overlaps.

The demographic is outside the "core" group; they don't always think of
themselves as "gamers". They don't read enthusiast press. They may be
familiar with the biggest core games (GTA III, Call of Duty) but if they
play them, they play them socially or casually. They are often parents with
children, and may enjoy playing games as a family. In a way I think of them
as "outsiders", a bit, since they are outside the traditional core audience.

Has anyone on the list come across terms/definitions that might describe
what I'm looking for? I realize that I'm still at the beginning of my study
and so what I've said is fairly unfocused. But I would love to hear your
thoughts!

-Jane Pinckard
www.gamegirladvance.com