[casual_games] INPUT REQUESTED: 2010 IGDA Casual Game SIG Programs

Dave Rohrl universedave at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 03:28:07 EST 2010

Greetings fellow Casual Game SIG members,

Welcome to 2010! As I'm sure you know, 2009 was a year of tremendous change
in the casual game industry. 2009 saw the rise of social games and the
iPhone market, dramatic changes in the price structure of downloadables, and
a variety of other key developments. As the industry changes, we want to
make sure the SIG is evolving our programs to meet your needs - both in
terms of what parts of the industry we're covering and in terms of how we're
covering them.

So, to help us understand where we should be focusing our energy, please
tell us the following about our information/education programs:

1. What kind of casual games would you like to see us focus on the most:
PC Downloadable Games, Social Games, Ad-Supported Web Games, "Freemium"
Browser Games, iPhone Games, Console Downloads, General Mobile Games,
something else? Feel free to pick multiple categories, but if you can rank
them it's very helpful.
2. How would you like to see us facilitate discussion and education
around these issues: Regular voice chats/conference calls, Moderated or
unmoderated forums, Regular group text chats, Webinars (with presentations),
Quarterly print magazine, Edited webzine, Annual White Paper, other ideas?
Again, multiple ideas are fine but a ranking is very helpful.
3. Are there advocacy programs you would like to see us work on as well?
If so, would you like to see us focus on: Royalty Reporting, Developer
Credits, Fair Contract Practices, Quality of Life, other things?

Please write back to the full mailing list with your thoughts, and hopefully
we can get a lively and spirited discussion going. The Steering Committee
is eager to get great programming going for the SIG, but we need you to help
us figure out the priorities that are most important to the community. Your
voice matters; please let it be heard.

Best wishes for an awesome 2010,
Dave Rohrl
Creative Director, Playdom Inc.
Chair, IGDA Casual Game SIG

PS The Steering Commitee's next meeting is Monday, January 25, so input
before that date will be especially useful!