[casual_games] INPUT REQUESTED: 2010 IGDA Casual Game SIG Programs

Juan Gril juangril at jojugames.com
Thu Jan 21 12:02:07 EST 2010

Hey Dave :). Here are my opinions:

Types of casual games (ranked):

1. Social Games, Ad-Supported Web Games and Freemium Browser Games. These
three are the same. A lot of the ad-supported games for 2010 come with some
type of Social integration using APIs as OpenSocial or Facebook Connect.
It's proven that ads alone are not the bulk of the revenues, so you need the
freemium business model in order to survive. And anyone who is doing a
freemium browser game should take their time to do some basic social
integration in order to spread the word.

Lastly, even advergaming clients are requiring social integration now.

2. PC Downloads
3. iPhone Games and General Mobile Games (these two are similar and
should not be separated as the bulk of the mobile game sales are on touch
based devices. I would stop calling them iPhone games though, as Android
devices are not iPhones).
4. Console Downloads.

Facilitate discussion: a new version of the White Paper may help as a
reference with the changes suggested above. The quaterly has always been one
of the best in the industry. The list is fine as long is not full of "how do
I get my game to the portals?" messages.

Cheers,

Juan