[casual_games] IMPORTANT: Upcoming changes

Sheri Rubin sheri at designdirectdeliver.com
Thu Dec 15 01:57:10 EST 2011

I was never able to make LinkedIn do anything more than send the group's
updates either once a day or once a week all in one batch all with the
generic subject line of something like "From so and so and other
International Game Developers Association Group Member" and then require
me to use a link to go to the LinkedIn website in order to view the
discussion. Even as a group owner/moderator for some of my clients I was
not able to do that. If you know how to make it send each discussion's
individual comment as separate I'd love to hear that - that's big news!

I was also never really able to sort/separate them as they all seem to
come from "group-digests at linkedin.com". Whereas right now if I want I
can have casual_games at igda.org go to a Casual Games SIG folder/label,
qa at igda.org to go to a QA folder/label, etc.

It's also been really hard to reply to people privately without it just
showing up as a message in the person's LI inbox and you have no
guarantee they've set their notifications to email them versus just say
replying / copying an email address and replying to someone off list
right from the email.

However, I'm the first to admit I don't know all the intricacies of
LinkedIn and I'm not using it to it's full potential.

I'd prefer LI over FB for this regardless because of all the issues
inherent with Facebook (hi China!) if it does come down to just those
two, but I just thought I'd throw out the idea of an actual mailing list
because of all the other SIGs I'm a part of who have FB, LI, and mailing
list groups and the mailing lists are the only ones that really thrive.
The ones who use Google or Yahoo groups also then take advantage of the
completely integrated (Yahoo) or semi-integrated (Google)
files/documents features among other features but each SIG is different.

Sheri
(whose keeping this on the big list in case this helps others learn new
LinkedIn tricks.)