[casual_games] Jonathan Blow interview: Do you believe social games are evil? “Yes. Absolutely.”

Adam Martin adam.m.s.martin at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 15 16:45:19 EST 2011

IMHO this is just a case of indie developers (finally) starting to
understand the concept of "marketing" in a bit more depth than the 101
stuff.

With my PR hat on, this is great stuff: highly contentious (and
potentially dangerous) quotes - and yet, nowhere near as
career-damaging as declaring that a certain console is ****. "Evil" is
emotive, but just vague enough that you can get away with it in ways
that you can't when you target billion-dollar brands. *ahem*.

I'd also add that - in true marketing style - this whole conversation
is about 6 months behind the curve. Which is about right for a
mass-market promotional piece - people at the coal face have moved on,
but Joe Public is still intrigued and yet to catch-up. Anyone who
still thinks Zynga is the company from "that SF Weekly article" is
living in dreamland. FB games moves much, much faster than that.

IMHO. YMMV. etc...

Adam