[casual_games] HTML5/Canvas Game Engine Solutions.

Aaron Murray aaron at tandemgames.com
Mon Jun 27 12:00:15 EDT 2011

Here are some links (not game-specific) that I *highly* recommend so that
you can target the smallest moving target possible when developing your
html5 games. These are not game-frameworks, but you'll need more than a game
framework to properly create supporting websites, etc.

*HTML5 Boilerplate* is a good start for sites in general. It has a bunch of
layout resets to make the platforms behave similarly right from the start.
It also has built in ant scripts for merging/minifying. While you'll
probably end up rolling your own more complicated/custom way of doing the
stuff in the boilerplate project, it is a great reference for the various
tweaks that you *should* be doing. It's also well documented so that you can
see *why* certain things are done the way they are (like how to get various
iPhone/Android icons to show up).
http://html5boilerplate.com/

*Modernizr* provides feature detection for HTML5 / CSS3, among other things,
so that you "know" what the device you're running on supports.
http://www.modernizr.com/docs/#features-css

*Augment JS* will provide modern built-in javascript methods for all
browsers when the native support is lacking, which let's you write your JS
using the latest language features.
http://olivernn.github.com/augment.js/

You should also consider having your site/game work on browsers that
don't naively support HTML5. In order to do this easily/effectively, check
out "shims" or "polyfills" - which basically will stub out support for the
features if the browser doesn't. Not all shims will provide the appropriate
level of functionality/speed, but at a minimum it should keep the who stack
from crashing, which is a great start.
Typically you add shims for each feature that you use. Here is a nice list:
https://github.com/Modernizr/Modernizr/wiki/HTML5-Cross-browser-Polyfills

Lastly, any web developer should also familiarize themselves with the
features/changes in HTML5. A good start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5
http://dev.w3.org/html5/html4-differences/

Aaron Murray
Technical Director, Founder