[casual_games] Game Engines for Mobile games

Chris Dillman chrisd at plaidworld.com
Mon Mar 7 19:28:13 EST 2011

>This looks really cool!

>I'm primarily looking at Java-based systems (No experience with

>Android, but I hear it's Java?), so Corona looks good.

>What's the most commonly used programming language across all these

>game engines anyway?

Android was Java (SDK), Later the added a C/C++ (NDK)( Native Dev Kit )

Most 3D engines will all be in c/c++ land for speed etc.

There is currently no JIT on android just a pretty fast VM.
( Im not sure if there will be a jit on the upcomming OSes )

So.... what might be good for you... is

Unity 3D.

You can code it in C# among other things... and honestly C# feels
pretty close to Java that you can move over in a few hours and be
productive.

Also here is a free Java based 2D engine for Andorid I was told was
pretty decent..

http://www.andengine.org/

It have physics / box2d built in etc.

--