[casual_games] TOW: Where Do We Go From Here?

Robert Madsen madsen.robert at gmail.com
Wed May 30 01:02:42 EDT 2012

I make money as a programmer. I make games because I love the challenge of
making games. Sometimes the two intersect, and I'd sure think it was swell
if one of my own games made me loads of money. So, am I losing out on fun
and creativity in my mad dash to make more and more money? No, because I am
lucky and privileged enough to make money doing what I love. Now, if I
decided to sell real estate because I thought I could make a lot of money,
that would be losing out on fun and creativity in a mad dash to make more
and more money.

Our industry is amazingly flexible and proves over and over again that, if
you want to make games, you can make games whether that is by getting a job
at a big studio or writing your own game for the heck of it. So, this is
exactly where I would like our industry to continue to goŠtoward a place
where the big fish and the little fish all get to swim in the pond. It is
the freedom to create--whether it is an experimental game that only the
creator could love or the 15th sequel of the latest sports franchise--that
makes our industry great.

Robert