[game_edu] Seeking Your Insights

Brenda Brathwaite bbrathwaite at cyberlore.com
Tue Mar 22 13:45:02 EST 2005

"What, to you, are the important 'qualities' (inherent or distinguishing

characteristics) of a person who is successful in the game industry?"

1. Willingness to solicit and accept criticism of their work
2. Understanding of the basic building blocks of a game coupled with the
ability to innovate
3. Has a solid interest in studying his or her field, regularly playing
games
4. Ability to work well with others in a team environment
5. In a lead role, the ability to manage, delegate, compliment and
critique
6. Has an unstoppable curiosity about so many things that naturally
funnel themselves into the games they make (ie. Sid Meier's Sim Golf)

All my favorite designers have also retained an incredible level of
humility. In fact, one of my favorites appears to be utterly oblivious
to the fact that he is "somebody."

I work in the industry as a game designer.

Brenda Brathwaite