[game_edu] suggestions for readings?

George D. Phillies phillies at WPI.EDU
Sun Nov 9 21:46:26 EST 2008

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008, Ian Schreiber wrote in part:

> I'd also advise not limiting yourself to video games. The world of board

> games (particularly the so-called "Eurogame" variety -- Settlers of

> Catan, Carcassonne, Bohnanza, Puerto Rico, etc.) is great for study of

> this kind. The mechanics of the game are laid bare, the fun is direct and

> on the surface. Board games can't hide behind high technology or huge

> polygon counts; they are either fun for the mechanics or not fun at all.

> In video games there are more complex layers, so it's a little harder

> sometimes to tell where the fun is coming from.

Some of you may find of interest my two board game design books with Tom
Vasel. These are written as textbooks, with extensive homework
problems, and have been used in my Game Design course here at WPI

http://www.3mpub.com/phillies

The books are "Design Elements in Contemporary Strategy
Games" and "Contemporary Perspectives in Game Design".

I reprint with permission several of Costikyan's articles, including the
one already noted.

George Phillies