[game_edu] a lot of cfp's

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 01:21:38 EST 2008

Please recirculate as widely as possible to any who might be interested.

Revised Call for Papers

DiGRA 2009

*PLEASE NOTE THE NEW DATES FOR SUBMISSION AND DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION FOR
GUARANTEED ON-CAMPUS ACCOMODATION*

Breaking New Ground: Innovation in Games, Play, Practice and Theory
Brunel University, West London, United Kingdom, Tuesday 1st September --
Friday 4th September 2009

The Conference organisers for the Digital games Research Association
conference 2009 are pleased to announce the first Call for Papers. DiGRA is
an organisation that embraces all aspects of game studies, and the
conference aims to provide a diverse platform for discussion and a lively
forum for debate. We therefore welcome papers from any discipline focused on
any aspect of games, play, game culture and industry. The conference will be
the fourth DiGRA conference, following Utrecht, Vancouver and Tokyo, and
welcomes contributions from scholars working in any area of interest to the
association. The official business of the Subject Association will also be
conducted at the conference.

The Conference invites the following proposals for consideration:

Individual or Collaborative Papers
Panels
Workshops
Posters

Initial selection will be through the peer review of both full papers and
abstracts of 500-700 words in all categories. Selection of presentations
will be proportionate to the submissions received, and no distinction will
be made between papers selected from abstract or full paper review. Panel
and Workshop proposals should include abstracts for the contributions of all
participants.

Individual or collaborative papers ­ addressing topics relevant to the wide
remit of DiGRA (including therefore industry, education, political, social,
theoretical concerns appropriate to the association). Presentations should
be limited to 15-20 mins.

Panel proposals ­ 3 ­ 4 papers which address a common theme, a common
research method, a shared conceptual issue etc.

Workshops ­ proposals are invited for 2 ­ 3 hour workshops that address a
range of themes relevant to the aims of the association. Workshops that are
particularly targeted at a wide audience are most welcome.

Poster sessions ­ presentations of work in progress in the format are most
welcome and will be showcased throughout the event.

The conference committee are also interested in including featured
symposia/colloquia to address particular Œlate-breaking¹ research projects
or issue-based topics (an example might be a colloquia based around Wii
research or a symposium based around Women in Games. Please contact a member
of the conference organising committee with any expressions of interest.

Graduate student participation

In order to support graduate students and early career researchers the
conference will focus on graduate student issues on its opening day, 1st
September 2009. The conference organizers seek appropriate mentors to work
with those addressing common themes/topics/issues in graduate roundtables.

Strands

Please also indicate your preference for consideration in one of the
following broad strands:

Games Culture
Games and Commerce
Games Aesthetics
Games Education
Games Design
Games and Theory

Key Dates

Deadline for all submissions for presentation at the conference (includes
full papers, abstracts and workshop/panel/symposia proposals): Friday 6
March 5pm GMT

Deadline for full papers for inclusion in digital proceedings: Friday 26
June 2009 5pm GMT

Notification of acceptance: June 1 2009

Deadline for booking on-campus accommodation June 30 2009

Conference Dates: 1-4th September 2009

Abstracts should be of 500-700 words and include an indicative bibliography.
Full paper submissions may be of up to 6,000 words, not including
bibliography. Full details of the submissions procedure, including the
method of electronic submission, will be published here and on other forums
as soon as possible.

All contributions must be original, unpublished work. The conference
language is English, and papers, abstracts and other proposals should be
written in English.

Delegates are also advised that individuals will be limited to one paper
presentation and one other form of presentation to allow space and time for
the largest number of participants.

About the Conference Location

Brunel University is located conveniently near Heathrow Airport and is on
the London Tube system. A range of affordable accommodation is available on
campus, including 1500 en suite rooms all on one campus, 400 standard
bedrooms, 8 holiday flats (5-7 persons per flat), 51 specially adapted
rooms for people with disabilities, plus hotel standard rooms in the
Lancaster Suite. The Brunel Conference Centre boasts 22 theatres, 29
classrooms and 5 seminar rooms all presented to the highest standard. The
following are also available: Free car parking (on application); Full
office support for photocopying, faxing, internet and word processing (on
application); Comprehensive range of audio visual and media services; Mini
market; Pharmacy; Banking facilities; Reference library; Sports Facilities;
Fitness Suite; Medical centre; 24 hour security; Self service cafeteria;
Licensed bars and cafes. There are also a range of restaurants, cinemas and
shopping in Uxbridge town.

Local attractions

Historic Windsor & Eton -Windsor Castle, Legoland and shopping are just 20
minutes drive away London - Central London and West End are easily accessed
by bus or Underground. Historic Oxford is a 40 minute bus ride away.

The Conference Organisers

The conference is being hosted by a consortium consisting of Brunel
University, University of the West of England and the University of Wales,
Newport.

Tanya Krzywinska, Professor of Screen Media, Brunel University
Helen Kennedy, University of the West of England
Barry Atkins, University of Wales Reader in Computer Games Design

Dr Barry Atkins
University of Wales Reader in Computer Games Design,
International Film School, Wales
University of Wales, Newport
School of Art Media and Design,
Caerleon Campus