[game_edu] game_edu Digest, Vol 71, Issue 2

John Jamison jjamison at imagilearning.com
Thu Aug 12 11:41:40 EDT 2010

Great question Ian,

I used to direct a national game & sim programming degree program, and
always had a few ideas I had hoped to make happen with a couple of 'willing'
game companies.

- One was to simply initiate a monthly 1-hour live webinar with my students
and some good folks in a company from the industry. Each month would be a
specific topic being addressed by the company..."What games or game ideas
have you rejected recently, and why?", "What is the absolute hardest thing
about doing it 'right'?", "What are the top three things you would do
differently if you were starting over?"...those kinds of things. The nice
thing about webinars is that they take an hour...no major prep, no travel,
and they are great for give & take.

- We were lucky to have a company work with us on idea #2, which was to send
us a pile of old game design docs, most of which were from games that had
been shelved, or that weren't otherwise 'super-top-secret'. Seeing these
'real' documents gave the students more motivation to spend the time
creating them in those cursed assignments.

- I always thought it would be cool if a company would farm-out some
challenging "code challenges" for students...some pieces of games that
students could work on and have the opportunity to spend time with 'real'
issues. A simple agreement document could be drafted to make this all
'legal' and clarify ownership, etc. My students would have signed most
anything to have the opportunity to participate in some 'real' code-work.

- The free software/free whatever thing is always talked about, but I
thought it would be great to do something like that monthly webinar thing
again, but have some real 'game-guys' spend some time showing some of their
little "bet ya didn't know you could do this" for various pieces of software
they use. This kind of brain-stretching could be loads of fun. My guess is
that some of my students could have shown some company guys a few things
they didn't know too.

I always found companies very interested in helping out and increasing the
interaction with students, but at the same time they were challenged by the
lack of time and tight financials to spend too much time in that direction.
So I'm looking for those 'little' pieces that could still carry a huge
amount of payoff for the learners...

Just my thoughts,

John

--
John Jamison, PhD.
john at imagilearning.com
217.416.4506
Skype: virtualbacon
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jjamison
Zintro: http://www.zintro.com/expert/John-Jamison

Second Life
"Virtual Bacon"
http://slurl.com/secondlife/imagiLEARNING/38/5/21

Ask me about Tranceformational Learning!