[game_edu] It's coming! Game Education SIG Elections Plus Thank You To Susan

Sheri Rubin sheri at designdirectdeliver.com
Wed Aug 18 16:42:44 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

As some of you already know, Susan Gold decided earlier this year that
she wished to step down as chair of this SIG and let someone else take
on the reins so she could focus on other projects. Susan was a great
chair and helped this SIG accomplish a lot of wonderful initiatives.
This SIG and the IGDA as a whole thank Susan for her efforts over the
past 4+ years and wish her the best as she goes on to tackle more of the
world!

With that being said, we are going to start the formalization/election
process for the Game Education SIG. The framework is flexible enough to
accommodate the diversity of all of the SIGs. With this information in
hand, we can move forward and initiate the process of holding Game
Education SIG elections. We have a lot to accomplish and I'm sure you
want to spend as little time to do it, so please review the rest of this
email carefully.

Our first order of business is to review the general process. This SIG
will follow the basic format of the following:

1) The SIG opens up the nomination process in order to gain nominees
for the SIG steering committee positions.
2) The nominees statements go up on the SIG's section of the website.
3) All SIG members who are IGDA members are asked to review the
statements and go vote.
4) Voting ends and the ballots are counted.
5) The winner is announced, they take office, they appoint your new
SIG chair.
6) Everyone cheers!

Please take some time to think about this process and if you would like
to run for steering committee. Then feel free to chime in about any
questions you have about elections, voting, or what the steering
committee duties entail. Since you will be a part of a leadership team
you'll have people to help you continue making this SIG rock. I am on
this list so I'll see any questions or you can email me directly off
list at sheri at designdirectdeliver.com.

After discussions, an email will go out next week asking you to submit
your nominations.

Remember -- only official IGDA members will have voting rights. (So
please join or renew your membership ASAP! http://www.igda.org/join)

Thank you so much for your participation. It's important for the Game
Education SIG members to take part in the decision making process
whenever possible. Elections can be a complex and controversial (or
apathetic!) process, but these new guidelines, in conjunction with this
SIGs awesome members, will help make the process go relatively smoothly.

Have a great week!
Sheri

P.S. For those of you who are curious about nominations - anyone can
nominate a qualified person. For this first round of formalization the
nominees must be an IGDA member in good standing; adhere to the
Leadership (Board of Directors) Code of Ethics; and agree to read and
follow the IGDA SIG reference manual with respect to their legal,
financial, and organizational responsibilities. An official call for
nominations will go out once everyone has had some time to talk.

--
*Sheri Rubin*
Founder and CEO

*Design Direct Deliver*