[game_edu] optimizing pipelines/processes for iteration

Jason Della Rocca Jason at PerimeterPartners.com
Tue Aug 24 14:57:27 EDT 2010

Hi all,

See below for an inquiry I posted to the IGDA's Production Special
Interest Group.

Curious if folks here have a more academic take on the topic. Either
as part of project oriented curriculum, or specific research into
production processes/pipelines.

Thanks!

Jason

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jason Della Rocca <Jason at perimeterpartners.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:45 PM
Subject: optimizing pipelines/processes for iteration
To: IGDA Production SIG <production at igda.org>

Hi all,

I'm doing some research into how studios optimize their production for
rapid iteration.

Theory is that the more you can iterate on a specific level or
gameplay feature, etc, the better the result. Benson Russell mentioned
this specifically in his recent series of Uncharted 2 articles at
Gamasutra:

"To help facilitate this, we've specifically designed our gameplay
tools and pipeline to let us iterate through gameplay changes very
quickly. ...as the quicker you can iterate on something, the better
you can tweak and polish it. ... When you have a very fast pipeline
for getting your changes into the game, it frees up your workflow
tremendously. Instead of lumping a bunch of changes together due to
long load and build times, instead we can focus on specific elements
of gameplay, even if it means iterating just one parameter at a time,
and fine-tune any part of the experience (i.e. when tuning weapons,
AI, puzzles, etc.)"
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5945/designing_combat_encounters_in_.php

Sadly, Benson didn't go into specific details... But ya, stuff like that!

In particular, I'm looking at it from three angles that enable and
foster rapid iteration:
1 - tech/tools (eg, real-time asset insertions)
2 - processes (eg, mandatory 2D level sketch prior to 3D blocking)
3 - culture (eg, build team trust so constructive criticism can be
given/taken well)

Would be great to get some thoughts, input, wisdom from folks. Details
appreciated, but even high level stuff would be cool. Also, happy to
take any pointers or references to specific game/studio examples,
books, lectures, articles or whatever that you've seen that touches on
this stuff.

Thanks!!!

Jason

--