[game_edu] optimizing pipelines/processes for iteration

Philip Tan philip at mit.edu
Wed Aug 25 21:13:35 EDT 2010

Hey Jason! I've tried to dig up a couple of GAMBIT papers along those lines,
adding bracketed subtitles that might be relevant takeaways for your
inquiry.

1 - tech/tools (eg, real-time asset insertions)

Automatic rigging and animation of 3D characters
(Speeding up part of a 3D pipeline)
http://gambit.mit.edu/readme/papers/automatic_rigging_and_animation.pdf

2 - processes (eg, mandatory 2D level sketch prior to 3D blocking)

The Game Studies Practicum: Applying Situated Learning to Teach Professional
Practices
(Using agile as a teaching methodology)
http://gambit.mit.edu/readme/readme/pdfs/Fernandez%20-%20Situated%20Learning%20and%20Videogame%20Curriculum.pdf

Iterative Game Design in Education
(Iterative design requires a slightly different approach to curriculum)
http://gambit.mit.edu/readme/Iterative%20Game%20Design%20in%20Education%20-%20Print%20version.pdf

3 - culture (eg, build team trust so constructive criticism can be
given/taken well)

You get paid to do that?
(Hiring and team expectations, timeboxing, feedback)
http://gambit.mit.edu/readme/GAMBIT_CSCW_Fun_Workshop.pdf
----
Philip Tan
Singapore-MIT GAMBIT Game Lab