[games_access] Reminder: Online Meeting for Games Accessibility SIG

Thomas Westin thomas at pininteractive.com
Mon Nov 29 11:47:57 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm presently at work and have to travel home, so I will have a problem
getting home in time for the online meeting. Anyway, I'll try and get
online as soon as possible.

Here is a short report from my visit and presentation at Techshare,
Birmingham, UK on November 18.

Techshare website:
http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/code/public_rnib004057.hcsp

I presented our work with the SIG, and also briefly Terraformers.

Keynote speakers were e.g from W3C WAI, Judy Brewer and and a guy from
Adobe presenting new accessibility features in Acrobat 7.

I also found some time to speak to Judy Brewer about the possibility of
some bilateral collaboration between the GA-SIG and W3C WAI. I still have
to follow up on this, but she said informal relations were very easy to
set up, and that should be a good starting point.

I got some ideas of how we could present accessibility guidelines for
future versions of whitepapers. W3C WAI have two main areas, one for tools
and one for content. For content there are three levels of accessibility.
I think a similar approach could be fruitful for helping the game industry
start implementing easy things first.

To reach out further: Since time is a rare component, I suggest we setup
online presentations instead of traveling. I'm planning to hold online
presentations of our work with the application I showed you briefly last
time. As a first step, I would like to have your consent with me doing
this although I have trouble attending our meetings. I think it is a good
way to reach out to many interested people in a time and cost effective
way.

Finally, I think we could go on with the idea of sponsorship into forming
a similar "initiative" as W3C WAI. My initial idea was to do this, but
IGDA wanted something smaller first, which resulted in the SIG. Now, I
think we have proven to be serious about this and can talk to Jason about
forming an "initiative", or GAI (compare with WAI, Web Accessibility
Initiative). It should be formed by a consortium of leading game
development studios and publishers as well as international disability
organisations. Also, existing developers of accessible games should be
included.

A lot do to of course, but I would like to have your feedback regarding
these ideas.

Kind regards,
Thomas

Pin Interactive AB www.pininteractive.com
Online support: MSN thomas at pininteractive.com
Phone: +46 (0)70 7331475 (Time zone: GMT+1)
Award Winning 3D Game for Blind and Sighted: www.terraformers.nu
IGDA Game Accessibility SIG www.igda.org/accessibility/