[games_access] Reminder: Online Meeting for Games Accessibility SIG

Reid Kimball rkimball at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 13:05:22 EST 2004

Here's an update on what I've been up to lately.

I've been playing HL2 a lot using the closed captioning from the
start. There are a fair number of sounds and dialog that lack
captioning and if I access the console I can see a lot of messages
saying "such and such is missing a caption". A lot of times during
intense scenes captions get pushed off the screen too quickly. All in
all, the closed captioning is the best of any big budget game, but I
see much room for improvement, which leads me to my DOOM3[CC] mod.

This weekend Dec 4th, we plan to release an early version of what we
have so far. I'd say that it took us about a month between 2
programmers and myself who are either full time college students or
work full time. Any publisher or developer that says adding closed
captions to a game costs too much time or money is giving a very poor
excuse to not do them. The most time consuming part of the project
will the creation of the actual text files the game reads and extracts
the captions to print on the screen.

-Reid