[games_access] GA-SIG info

Thomas Westin thomas at pininteractive.com
Sun Oct 17 16:36:35 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm very sorry to say that I'll be unable to attend the meeting on Monday
as well.
I simply have too many things going on. I have already skipped a few other
things, e.g my plans to finish my master degree this year. Please say
hello to everyone from me and feel free to use the Pin Meetings
application if you like - please send me feedback about features you would
like in that app since we're currently into making a new version.

Anyway, here is a short report about the two conferences in the UK I
attended in September. Please forward it to the GA members (I don't have a
complete list of all new people, and I can't find the address to the mail
list)

DIGIPLAY 3

http://les1.man.ac.uk/cric/digi/digisems3.htm
Location: Univ. of Central Lancashire, Preston, UK

This was a nice, informal seminar session with about 15 people attending.
The presentations ranged from the emotions people attach to their cell
phones to how sport games make young people getting more into physical
activity and sports than those who don't play sport games. The overall
topic for the seminar was about "Leisure Constraints, Entitlement and
Access to Technologies of Leisure".

I presented our white paper (the presentation I sent to you recently), why
accessibility is important, how it can be done and what has been done to
date. I also discussed the topics about the future, the next steps etc.
Finally, I showed them two examples. First, Terraformers as an example of
a dedicated accessibility solution where the accessibility is provided by
custom made interface. Second, I showed the "vOICe", with a webcam I
brought with me as an example of a general accessibility solution, and
discussed the ups and downs of each approach.
http://www.seeingwithsound.com/voice.htm

The feedback from the attendees was about how accessibility could enhance
the experience for other gamers, in creating new game experiences. Also,
they thought our goal of creating a game accessibility standard was a very
ambitious goal (which it is of course). Another topic discussed was the
fact that games are about challenges which runs counter to accessibility
aims, and what types of games could be made accessibile to whom, without
breaking the game itself.

ICDVRAT
http://www.icdvrat.reading.ac.uk/
Location: New College, Oxford

This was a three day conference with presentations from morning to
evening, including poster and demo sessions. It was held in New College,
Oxford. "New" is a bit fun: the New College was built in the 13th Century!
The building reminded me of Tomb Raider or something. Oxford Univ. is the
oldest in the UK...

The presentations ranged an even wider field than Digiplay. There were
strict researchers to wild artists, experimenting with digital tech to
make virtual reality environments accessible. Some of the coolest stuff
was presented by a Danish guy (can't remember his name at the moment, have
his card somewhere). One thing he had used for kids with ADHD and similar
issues were a combination of ultra-sound and infra-red sensors which could
detect, without any wires to the user, blinking with an eye or moving of
hips, hands etc. This was then connected to computer graphics and computer
generated sounds, making your entire body a tool for both music and
graphic art. This had also been used with great success by deaf people,
who could see the graphic art, but also produce music without actually
hearing it.

I was invited to talk about Terraformers but of course I also took the
chance of spreading the word about the GA-SIG. I got in touch with a guy
from Microsoft (Rob Haverty) about accessibility in DirectX, and a
japanese older guy in charge of the SMIL development. Then also a bunch of
others which I haven't had time to follow up yet.

I could go on a long time describing all this but there is a great website
for the conference. I also have a CD with the proceedings, I could e-mail
some PDF:s to you if you're interested. First, take a look at the website
for the conf. above so you get some idea of the presentations.

As a final note: I was invited to Techshare in Birmingham in November.
I'll go there just one day and make another presentation of our white
paper.
http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/code/public_rnib004057.hcsp

Thanks for reading this long e-mail :)
Thomas

Pin Interactive AB www.pininteractive.com
Online support: MSN thomas at pininteractive.com
Phone: +46 (0)70 7331475 (Time zone: GMT+1)