[games_access] Game Accessibility Convention?

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Sun Oct 17 18:43:01 EDT 2004

Hi Kiki,

Yes, I have. At this years ICCHP convention I attended a VERY impressive presentation by Paul Blenkhorn called "Using computers to support people with Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD)". An important part of his presentation was about common misconceptions about people with learning difficulties. He showed that the worldwide group of people with learning disabilities is enormous and diverse (and therefore there are no easy solutions). Although I could easily find a few examples of edutainment for dyslexic children using Google (like http://www.dyslexia-teacher.com/t113.html), I have not yet encountered any example of research or design of pure electronic entertainment accessible for dyslexic children.

It would be very interesting if you could submit a list of problems that your son (Michael?) encounters while playing to this group, as a tiny case study?

About the convention: I would love to aim at designers/researchers AND disabled gamers at the same time. Research and play. I think many conventional game designers only get in touch with a disabled person if it is a relative or a friend. It would be nice to have a, well, confrontation :). We have a lot of disabled children in the Netherlands that use computers and I think many of them would be very enthousiastic to go to such a convention. Internationally, I wouldn't know. But we could use creative solutions like field trips and competitions sponsered by local foundations or companies. And we could collaborate with an organisations like the ICC (http://www.icc-camp.info/), which is a computer camp for disabled teens.

Greetings,

Richard

http://www.audiogames.net