[games_access] IGDA GA meeting: thoughts from OneSwitch

Thomas Westin thomas at pininteractive.com
Thu Dec 22 15:47:39 EST 2005

Hi Barrie,

Great list of thoughts.

I think we need some place to store and edit our thoughts without having it
publicly availabe for everyone to read at the IGDA wiki - giving away too
much before GDC I think...

I can setup a MediaWiki at pininteractive.com with password login for
readers as well which we can use for our internal notes for GDC and also the
book as we go forward. Would that be OK with you all?

Also, if you want to upload stuff to my FTP for the CD, please e-mail me
personally and I'll give you the details - I just want to have some control
of who gets access to the server.

I can present your stuff Barrie, if it is just talking about it with
slides/images (to present some actual tech demos demands more preparations I
think)

I'll upload Terraformers of course :) and will also tell Brainfingers.com to
upload some of their games, which will also need some hardware explanations.
Perhaps they can also upload some video for those who can't get the hardware
(Cyberlink). I'll also ask if they can lend a device for the accessibility
arcade, would be really cool to let people try controlling games with
biofeedback themselves... (I can't afford having my own Cyberlink hardware
at the arcade if it breaks I'm afraid; it costs about 2000 USD)

Further, I'll notify AGRIP to upload Accessible Quake. I think we have a
quite extensive list of games and people to contact in our white paper
appendices also. I'll see what I can do about that.

Regarding the 100 USD for the VINE package; yes I think it would be really
cool if we could let people try games out with these. - Michelle, have you
heard anything from IGDA about having some Paypal Donate thing on the SIG
site? Would be great if we can have some funding from people to pay for
stuff like this.

Also, I'm thinking about printing some T-shirts with the IGDA logo + text
"Game Not Over - Expanding the Market through Game Accessibility. Game
Developers Conference 2006". Would you be interested in getting a T-shirt?
Please let me know, and I can make one exclusive conference t-shirt for you
:) and you just pay the t-shirt + printing cost when we meet at GDC or buy
me some beer :)

We (the SIG) could also sell similar t-shirts with some added / modified
text, saying "I'm an active sponsor of Game Accessibility" to people and get
further funding for things we need to buy etc.

Merry Christmas to you all

/Thomas

9 years of development and education with Director 2D/3D
Award at the Independent Games Festival: www.terraformers.nu
http://www.pininteractive.com