[games_access] Implementing Closed Caption

Deano Calver deano at rattie.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 25 05:10:54 EDT 2005

Hello,
I'm working on a PS3 action game (Heavenly Sword) and I'm looking for
information on Closed Captioning.

I've already mentioned the subject of Closed Caption support to the
bosses, and I'm now looking for actual implementation details.
Particularly regard how much extra work for the schedules etc. My
initial thoughts are that there is some extra code work for the run-time
captioning system, some tools work to enhance the sounds tools and then
work for the sound designers actually adding the captions, then there is
extra QA work. Anything I've missed?

I've seen the CC faq, but I've not seen any real guides to how to
caption? (Colour, placement and reading level).

Are there different standards for different countries? (i.e. is red
unacceptable in country X) Any links for international closed caption?

I've noticed the Doom3[CC] has an audio radar, I'm curious to know how
important such a feature is?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Deano

Dean Calver,