[games_access] GA SIG at GDC!

hinn at uiuc.edu hinn at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 3 09:20:56 EST 2005

That's right! Here's some more information on the panel that
Ben mentioned:

Legal Issues, Regulations, and Compliance for Serious Games
Speaker: Ben Sawyer (Cofounder, Digitalmill), Mary Derby (
SD Health Technology Innovations/pullUin Software), Edmond
A. Heinbockel (CEO Visual Purple), Mark Long (CEO Zombie),
Thomas Westin (Programmer/Interface Designer Pin Interactive
AB)

Time/Date: Monday (March 7, 2005)   2:00pm — 3:00pm

Presentation Description:
Commercial games must survive internal review, press
reviews, word-of-mouth, and ultimately the market. It's a
Darwinian environment to be sure, but there are no legal
restrictions on an entertainment game about hospitals, or
requirements to log player progress in Civilization for
later inspection. In the serious games space, however,
unique legal, regulatory, and compliance issues abound. For
uninformed developers, it can be a real surprise or
embarrassment when they're caught not realizing that (before
market acceptance) other issues may have a say in how their
game must work. This panel of serious game developers and
experts highlights the challenges faced when building
applications for use in specific industries and regulatory
environments.