[games_access] Next SIG Business meeting: 23 May 2005

Thomas Westin thomas at pininteractive.com
Mon May 16 10:49:29 EDT 2005

Hi all,

At the last meeting I proposed the use of a Flash application. However, on
second thought, it hinges on the availability of a server, which I may not
be able to guarantee at all times.

Instead, I propose the use of Skype, a very popular IM-solution with
chatt, which also work very well as IP-telephony (even with groups)

I suggest we use Skype instead of MSN, since it works behind firewalls:
Non-firewalled clients and clients on publicly routable IP addresses are
able to help NAT’ed nodes to communicate by routing calls. This allows two
clients who otherwise would not be able to communicate to speak with each
other. Because the calls are encrypted end-to-end, proxies limit the
security or privacy risk. Likewise, only proxies with available spare
resources are chosen so that the performance for these users is not
affected. Several new techniques were also developed in order to avoid
end-user configuration of gateways and firewalls, whose non-intuitive
configuration settings typically prohibit the majority of users from
communicating successfully. In short, Skype works behind the majority of
firewalls and gateways with no special configuration.

All you need to do is to download Skype from www.skype.com and register to
get online.

Kind regards,
Thomas